Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 3-Abide In Him

John 15:1“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. 9As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

This is the theme of today. If it were not for our desire to abide in him Anjie and I would have never made it. We had our hearts torn out this morning first thing. As the doctor gave the report I had an overwhelming fear that it was not going to end on a good note. We were told first of all treatments that were being done just to substain his life. In the end the Doctor unloaded on us our worst fear. Levi has stage four bleeding in his brain. Could it be any worse? In our eyes no it can't. We were forced to deal with the reality that Levi is not as healthy as we thought he was. Anjie nor I have ever dealt with pain as we did today. Let me tell you though at the end of this day Levi is still with us and so is God. Just as Jesus told us will happen our joy remains full. It was not in his will that Levi will be without bleeding. It was in his will that the name of Jesus will be glorified through Levi's life. So you ask what branch did he prune today? How could this possibly be a positive experience in our lives? God took the branch that we were holding that said Levi is ours not His. He took the branch we were growing that said no God we don't have to turn everything over to you just some of it.  We rest in Him and only Him. Speaking of rest We need it terribly bad. Don't waste one more second of your life. Its way too precious.

For the prayer warriors:
Levi-Pray the medicine will work and his valve will close without need for surgery. Pray that the bleeding in his brains stops immediately and that there will be no permanent damage. Pray for one more day of life for our precious Levi.

Anjie-Still healing physically. Please pray for her rest and mental stability as we truely begin to grow weary.

Trent-I must not be proud. I need prayer for rest and positive thoughts. I need strength from God above.


13 comments:

  1. I so needed to read this scripture! Thank you for posting it! Levi could not have asked for better parents. Your faith in the Lord is just what the little guy needs:) Praying like CRAZY! Love you three! Please call me if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trent, Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Anjie and little Levi. Nancy and I will keep all of you in our prayers and send as much positive energy as we can in the hopes that all will work out well. If there's anything we can do to help, please let me know.
    With prayers in our hearts, Chris & Nancy Barnett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying big for this little fella! My granddaughter Karis was 9 weeks early so I can identify with so much of the ups and downs of prematurity. She is a beautiful and perfect 7 year old now! Praying for strength for you both, praying for the doctors and nurses and praying for this beautiful little gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am a friend of rachel wentling and our God has been teaching my husband and i the "abiding life" for the past 3 years! it's the ONLY way to live truly for Him! totally surrendered! i'm so thankful to read your blog this morning to see a very real life example of abiding so that our God gets all the glory. prayed for ya'll this morning and will continue to pray for ya'll. jennifer monsarrat

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are praying for you all! I was so convicted as I read this this morning. I have spent the better part of the past 4 days being angry and upset because there is a flu going around our family...yet we will all heal in time. Thank you so much for the reminder of keeping our eyes on Him and abiding in Him. I can not even begin to understand what you and Angie are feeling and experiencing. We are praying for you as a family and asking that God be glorified through this. We are sorry we are not there to be a support for you but are uplifting you from Costa Rica. We love you all!
    Joel, Kelley & Kids

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trent and Anjie,
    Trent, what an encouragement your blog is. To see the faith you have is amazing and convicting all at the same time. What a great example as I share it with our girls. Please let Tom know if there is anything we can do, and until then, we will just pray. Love all of you!!!
    Christy Jaski

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trent and Anjie,
    I am on my knees daily for you both and Levi. We studied the verses in Echoloud that you posted and you could not have provided a more perfect example. I am so encouraged by your strength, and I am so glad to know that you have the most important thing you need. God promises to never leave us or forsake us, and like you said, "It was in His will that the name of Jesus will be glorified through Levi's life'! I can already see that happening!
    I woke this morning at 5:30 and felt the need to pray for little Levi. I pray that you and Anjie were able to get some rest, and I will continue to pray.
    Biddy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for lifting up the Lord with your faith and prayers and by the very name you have given your son, "Levi". I am sure you know that the tribe of Levi was set apart from all of God's people to be a royal priesthood, they alone had access to the innermost and most holy places in the temple where God's presence was with His people. Surely He is with little Levi now and always, as He also is with you!Our bible study group meets tonight and there will be 12 of us there lifting Levi and your family up in prayer as long as needed. Under His wing Levi is safely abiding.
    Paul Rady Sr.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying so much for your family right now that the rest of the tests go well and show his brain bleed diminished as well as his heart healed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anjie & Trent & Levi,
    You are constantly in my thoughts. Stay strong and keep loving Levi. He is beautiful. I will pray for you all.
    Susan Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trent,

    You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Dana Dlugach (from Trans1)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trent and Anjie,

    Thank you for the updates through the blog. Matt and I prayed specifically for Levi last night when we prayed together. Please let us know if you or Anjie need anything.

    Levi is such a precious gift from God (as you already know!) One thing that the Lord constantly reminds me of since becoming a parent is this: We love our children so much, would lay down our lives for them and even that love is just a fraction of how much our God loves us! He works His purposes for good in all things!

    Meredith Womble

    ReplyDelete
  13. How beautiful this small child so fresh from the hands of God! And his blog was heartwarming...nice to read such an emotionally charged, mature christian message about his arrival! My thoughts and prayers for the entire McCumbee family and their newest little member ♥

    ReplyDelete